C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Wednesday, August 21, 2024

DNC Day 2 Highlights

See Politifacts for fact-checking of statements made by Obama and others
at last night's convention.

One month ago today, President Biden announced he would not seek the Democratic nomination this year.  What a difference a month makes!  From the doldrums of something like despair, the Democratic Party is now "fired up and ready to go," in a phrase made famous by former President Obama 16 years ago.  Your Head Trucker's political memory stretches back to the election of JFK in 1960, but I've never seen such an electrifying turnaround before.  

As Michelle Obama said in her speech tonight, "there's magic in the air."  It all makes for a grand show, a political spectacle, though substance is a bit lacking.  But that's American politics:  who would choose to study for a test when there's such a great pep rally going on?

PBS provides highlights from the second day of the Democratic National Convention in Chicago.

 

NBC gives provides the full speeches by Doug Emmhof, Michelle Obama, and Barack Obama.

-----

2 comments:

Frank said...

The convention is a joy to watch.

Russ Manley said...

Isn't it wonderful? After such a long, dreary dry spell?

Of course, it's all show business. But we needed this pick-me-up.

Related Posts with Thumbnails