C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Friday, December 10, 2010

Will the Ghost of DADT Repeal Pass?

As you all no doubt know, the Senate scuttled the defense bill yesterday, along with a provision repealing Don't Ask, Don't Tell, 57-40.  Major fucking bummer.

But a few Senators have bright hopes for passing a standalone DADT repeal bill before the Senate adjourns for the holidays.  I can't imagine it will pass either, but Rachel explains all the machinations now underway:



Andrew Sullivan:
I have no idea whether this is viable as a way to save repeal. But one does note that repeal has passed the House, is supported by the military chiefs and defense secretary, has the backing of two-thirds of the American public, and has a 57 - 40 majority in the Senate.

This really means that John McCain's filibuster is what is killing repeal. Astonishing what one man's bitter soul can do to American democracy.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails