C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The Queen's Christmas Message, 2010

A beloved tradition in Britain, broadcast every Christmas Day at 3 p.m., and transmitted to all the Commonwealth too.  This is one of the Queen's few public utterances not written for her by Government ministers, but reflecting her own themes and thoughts.  The video quality is very good, watch it in full screen mode.



I like the way the Queen very deftly ties several different themes together here; there's a profound message woven between the lines, and one that all of us ought to take to heart.

The Queen's grandfather, King George V, began the tradition in 1932 with a radio broadcast to the Empire.  You can read more about the history of these broadcasts at the Queen's website here.  Compare this year's broadcast with the very first televised version from 1957:



Your Head Trucker deeply admires the Queen for her devotion to duty and believes she has been a quiet force for good, for tolerance and compassion and understanding, behind the scenes all these many years. I well believe that history will appreciate her accomplishments and rate them much more highly than the present age does.

And I will share this with you, which never fails to raise a tear in this old shitkicker's eye:  a young slip of a girl on her 21st birthday, pledging her whole life to the service of her people. I don't know that I could have done that - and lived up to it. Could you?

4 comments:

"Sir" said...

She is a bit of a poppet though isn't she?

Russ Manley said...

I don't know what a poppet is, but I feel sure I would disagree. The old girl has made the best of a truly rotten job and with grace and humilty, too. She gets my vote.

Homask said...

I agree that her relentless dedication to duty is admirable and probably unique. But claiming that religion and sports are the way to bring the world together is beyond lame. If this were true, warfare and violence would long ago have been extinct. The answers obviously lie elsewhere, but I wouldn't expect the world's wealthiest woman to champion a more fair distribution of wealth in the world. Still, I always enjoy seeing how she's holding up and I could look at those palaces and artwork for days. Thanks.

Russ Manley said...

Your ultra-simplistic misquoting and misunderstanding of the lady's message tempts me . . . but no point explaining. People hear what they want to hear. I got something good out of it, and if you didn't, well that's too bad.

Good luck with your alternate plan for saving the world, though. Let me know when you get done with it, I'll post a congratulatory note here.

Related Posts with Thumbnails