C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Friday, April 2, 2010

Agnus Dei


My only Lenten offering this year.  And my favorite classical piece, which will be played one day at my funeral.  Some of you know it as the Adagio for Strings.

Peace to you all.



Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi, miserere nobis.
Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi, miserere nobis.
Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi, dona nobis pacem.

O Lamb of God, that takest away the sins of the world, have mercy upon us.
O Lamb of God, that takest away the sins of the world, have mercy upon us.
O Lamb of God, that takest away the sins of the world, grant us thy peace.

5 comments:

Gary said...

Very nice video, Russ. I'm not particularly religious, but I do love the stories, art, and music that have come to us from sacred themes over the centuries.

I had known the instrumental Adagio for Strings for many years, but it was not until much later that I discovered that Barber set it to the Agnus Dei for choir. Both versions are beautiful.

Thanks for posting this. Peace and Happy Easter to you.

Russ Manley said...

You're welcome, and Happy Easter to you and yours, Gary.

Like you, I've loved the Adagio for many years, but it's only recently I've become aware of the choral version, which is also exquisite.

Doorman-Priest said...

A welcome moment of quiet and meditation.

Happy Easter to you Russ.

dave said...

A very very beautiful piece by a gay man.

Russ Manley said...

Jack, Dave, glad you liked. Happy Easter.

Related Posts with Thumbnails