C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Monday, June 15, 2009

David Mixner Calls Shame on Obama Administration

Excerpt from a powerful statement by my good buddy David Mixner, longtime civil rights activist and respected elder of the gay tribe - you must go read the whole thing (emphasis is David's):

For two days, I have searched for an explanation, attempted to make my reading of the consequences of this horrendous document wrong and actually have sought out the opinions of a number of legal scholars. Anyway you cut it, it is a sickening document - one that this administration should be ashamed of and should disgust any friend of this community.

What in the hell were they thinking? Or is that their thinking?

There is some question among scholars as to whether this administration was required to respond to DOMA at all. Most think not, but some very respected ones feel they had to respond. However, to a person, they say that the response is way out of line, totally unnecessary and goes far beyond anything required. They all agree that if the Department of Justice felt they had to respond, a simple, few-paged brief on the very limited issue before the Federal Court would have been all that was necessary. The argument that they were required to write this all-out attack on our rights is simply bogus!

You fully need to understand the ramifications of this brief: it undercuts every conceivable argument that the LGBT community would use to fight for the repeal of DOMA. Right-wing nut cases can now just simply quote horrible stuff from this hateful brief and proclaim loudly it was filed by the Obama Justice Department. The President and his team have not only undercut this community but have damaged his own ability to repeal this hideous law given to us by President Clinton. With Democratic friends like these, God helps us.

I will not attend a fundraiser for the National Democratic Party in Washington next week when the current administration is responsible for these kind of actions. How will they ever take us seriously if we keep forking out money while they harm us. For now on, my money is going to battles within the community such as the fight in Maine or the March on Washington! I am so tired of being told by Democratic operatives to 'suck it up' because so many other profound issues are at stake. It is as if our fight for our freedom is single handedly responsible for the fate of all other issues. Bullshit. Maybe, just maybe, it is time for others to 'suck it up' for us and finally, without conditions, join our fight for our freedom!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails