C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Monday, October 21, 2024

Two Weeks to Go

 
We are having delicious weather here in Texas, since autumn finally arrived last week.  The night temperatures dip down into the 40s, but the days are sunny and warm, with highs in the 70s:  lovely.

Time sure is speeding along now; seems like Biden dropped out of the presidential race just the other day, and suddenly here we are in October.  Election Day, November 5th, is two weeks from tomorrow.  Here in Texas, early voting began today, and we hope to get to the polling place sometime this week.  Have you voted yet?  The sooner, the better - this is not the time to procrastinate.  You never know what might happen between now and Election Day.

I have read that election officers all around the country have strengthened and tightened security procedures this time around. I can tell you that where we live, all the elcction staff and volunteers are remarkably kind and helpful folks, and early voting is a breeze.  They seem to have all the latest technology going, though still using paper ballots, as they should.  And they are using numbered ballots this year, so you can memorize your ballot number and look it up later to be sure it was counted.  An excellent idea.  So I feel very confident in our local voting office:  real patriots quietly doing a fine job.

As everyone knows, or should, the polling shows a dead heat, a virtual tie, between Harris and Trump.  The ABC-538 forecast, which is refreshed daily as new polls come in, actually shows a slight advantage for Trump today:

Click to enlarge.


And here is the interactive election map, which you can play with at the ABC/538 site listed in the top sidebar of this blog: 

Click to enlarge.

I haven't tried to blog all the election news here, an impossible task. And there's no point in my obsessing over every he-said, she-said thing. The essential thing is to vote, not talk, not worry, not fuss and fret over all the what-ifs. That does no one any good.

Oddly enough, now that the election is approaching, I don't feel the same drama in the air that I did in the last two presidential elections; is it just me, or does it seem to you like a dull re-run of a show you didn't like the first time you saw it?  I do earnestly pray that the Democrats win the White House and both houses of Congress, so I'm going to cast my ballot and keep my fingers crossed. This little reminder to my truckbuddies and drive-by readers is about the limit of what else I can do. 

So if you love this country, and want to keep it worth living in, get up off your duff and VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO. And tell your friends and neighbors to do the same. Give them a ride to the polls if they need it. Be patient with the old, the timid, and the dithering. Hope for the best, and remember the sacrifices our forebears have made in the last 250 years to keep this country on the right path.

The democracy you save may be your own.

-----

1 comment:

Frank said...

Leon and I voted on Saturday. Blue all the way up and down. I read that some poll workers in Arizona have had to undergo training in case of a shooter attack and everyone has high security protection. Very sad what is happening. I fear for our Democracy.

Related Posts with Thumbnails