C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Thursday, October 24, 2024

Trump Takes Lead over Harris

Two things I want to say, briefly.  First, in the furor and excitement of the campaign, it's been easy to forget that until late July, Kamala was not a candidate and had no reason to think she ever would run for president again.  In 2020, she seemed like a great running mate for Joe Biden, nicely rounding out the ticket:  old and young(er), male and female, white and black, east and west, etc.  I expected Joe would put her to good use in his administration.

But then once they got into office, we heard less and less of Kamala way down here in the provinces, until finally she just seemed to vanish into the woodwork.  In fact, when I heard that Biden had dropped out of the race last July, and started wondering who could replace him as candidate, it was 20 or 30 minutes before I remembered Kamala at all:  she has been that invisible for most of his time in office.

All of which is just to say, in recent days it has come to my mind that she must be under a terrific strain, having to jump overnight from a quiet, nearly forgotten role into the heat of a full-fledged campaign. When you consider that, you realize just what a very fine, even astonishing job she is doing.  And I just pray the Lord will strengthen and sustain her in that mission, along with Walz and all others who are fighting the good fight now.  It's a desperate, historic fight, and uphill all the way.  The light of History will gleam upon their helmets, whether they prevail or fall.

The other thing I want to say is, how strange that for weeks we have been hearing about Kamala's slow but steady rise in the national polls; but this week, suddenly it's Trump who is pulling ahead, markedly.  And this after some of the most filthy, most outrageous, most reprehensible lies, threats, and calumnies he's ever made.  Why is that?  Yes, I get the fact that polls are imperfect, subject to all kinds of errors and adjustments, yada yada.  But why now, after weeks of being in the (small) lead, is Kamala dropping behind?  Very odd.

I guess it is just like a real horse race, where sometimes, for no apparent reason to the untrained eye, as they near the finish line one horse pulls ahead and another can't keep up.  Either that, or someone, somewhere is doing some manipulating of a kind I can't even imagine.  All I know is, the only thing that will stop Trump from taking over is a massive blue wave at the polls.  So let's do our best, fellas, and keep hope alive.  It's not over till it's over.

A few stats from the Wall Street Journal, which leans Republican:

P. S. -- Blogger tells me this is my 4600th post on the Blue Truck.  No kidding?  Hard to believe.  That's an average of about 285 posts a year since I started in 2008.  I know it's mostly boring stuff, and nothing to brag about, but it gives me something to do.

-----

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails