C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Thursday, August 4, 2011

Groovy Guys: Graham Nash

In my younger days the Hollies were a fun group, featuring a very young - and studly - Graham Nash. 

This song always makes me smile: the steel drums remind me of flying into the Bahamas, where they used to have a steel drum band meet all the planes - a DC-6, let's say, or a Lockheed Electra - to serenade debarking passengers as we emerged into the sea-scented air and brilliant tropical sunshine, and descended the steps to the tarmac.

But the young'uns among us won't even be able to decipher that last sentence, so just enjoy the song:



Later, of course, after a string of hits with the Hollies, Nash teamed up with David Crosby, Stephen Stills, and sometimes Neil Young, and got his second wind with another truckload of rock classics, including the delightful "Marrakesh Express," which I very fondly recall from the summer of 1969. Here's a hairier, more worldly and wizened Nash doing an interesting live version (1974) with Crosby - consummate musicians:



In 1977, I was lucky enough to see them in concert performing so many great songs, including this one - sung a capella except for Stills's acoustic guitar - all of them perfectly on pitch just as you hear it in this recording, and not a hundred feet away from me. Man, what a thrill that was. I tell you what.



And here's Nash in 2009, explaining why you never hear protest songs on the radio anymore:




Bonus: The guys team up with blues queen Bonnie Raitt on this awesome rendition of "Love Has No Pride":



I remember the song - hell, I lived it once.

A great mistake; but we love and learn.

7 comments:

Frank said...

As a Not so reluctant rebel, I always had an affinity for CSN abd CSNY. Interesting how the activism of the 70's and 80's has been replaced with such pervasive apathy. I agree that those controlling the wealth have bought the minds of youth and adults as well. As long as there's a game or a movie on the flat screen and a couple of six-packs in the fridge, why care about anything else?

Russ Manley said...

Aye, and everything old is new again. Panem et circenses, you know?

Stan said...

If we ever needed protest songs it's now with the whole country going to hell in a hand basket. I love CSN&Y and their music. They just don't sound like that anymore. Sigh. Great post!

MommieDammit said...

I'll give credit where it's due, and will always love CSN. I grew up listening to them, Peter Paul & Mary, and all the great groups of the 60's and 70's. Ah, but then you went and made my day Russ. I could listen to Bonnie Raitt all the Gods-given day, yet I'd never seen this video or heard her collaboration with the guys before. Beautiful... and, yeah, I lived that moment too. Now if only I could download that...
Thanks bunches, Russ.

Russ Manley said...

Glad you like, guys.

bobfett11 said...

Thanks for sharing the videos. Especially loved the one of Carrie Ann. That was beautiful. Always loved the song Marakesh Express. I have that on a 45 that I still play. Can't believe how long ago those songs were hits.

Russ Manley said...

I can't believe it's nearly 50 years ago myself, and I was there.

Something is just very wrong about this.

Related Posts with Thumbnails