C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Thursday, November 11, 2010

Tired Old Queen at the Movies: Pride and Prejudice




Steve Hayes reviews one of your Head Trucker's favorites, the 1940 MGM version of Pride and Prejudice, and I agree with everything he says about it.  A real treat, fellas, don't miss it:
Jane Austen gets the MGM glamor treatment in Robert Z. Leonard's version of the classic Pride and Prejudice (1940), starring Greer Garson and Laurence Olivier. Boasting one of the greatest casts of character actors ever assembled, including Edna May Oliver, Edmund Gwen, Mary Boland, Maureen O'Sullivan, Melville Cooper and Marsha Hunt, this may not be the definitive version of the novel, but it's wildly entertaining. All the high class and expensive gloss that MGM at the height of its glory days could muster makes this a must-see entertainment. A good time will be had by all!

BTW, Johnny is looking sexier than ever - very truckable - and Steve introduces a little gratuitous skin in this review . . . won't spoil it for you, but I like it.


Educate yourself:  The delightful character actress Marsha Hunt, whom Steve talks about in this review, was blacklisted by Hollywood during the Red Scare in the 1950's, bringing a sudden end to her career, though she was never a member of the Communist Party - merely an "articulate liberal," as she puts it.  Read a fascinating interview with her about that time here

And don't think a repressive time like that can't happen again.  Especially with a Teabagger Congress.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails