C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Saturday, November 6, 2010

Pink Elephants


They're on the rise, and damned if I can understand why.  Jonathan Capehart in the Washington Post's PostPartisan blog:
Gay men, lesbians and bisexuals who self-identified to exit pollsters made up 3 percent of those casting ballots in House races on Tuesday, and 31 percent of them voted Republican. By itself, that number is amazing, especially when you consider that way too many people think being gay and voting Democratic are one in the same. But that percentage is ominous news for a White House viewed with suspicion by many gay men and lesbians, because that's four percentage points higher than the change election of 2008.

Self-identified gays have been slowly sidling up to the GOP for a while now. In the 2008 presidential race, they made up four percent of the vote and gave 27 percent of their votes to Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) against then-Sen. Barack Obama. In the 2006 midterm elections, when the House and Senate flipped to Democratic control, gays made up three percent of the electorate with the Republicans snagging 24 percent of their ballots. And in the 2004 presidential elections, President George W. Bush got 23 percent of the gay vote. They comprised four percent of those polled.
Why do gays vote for the Republican Party?  Come to think of it, why do poor people, unemployed people, old people, single parents, minimum-wage workers, and anybody else who's not a fucking millionaire, vote for the GOP?  The party of Sally Kern, Sarah Palin, and John "Filibuster" McCain, to name but a few. 

The Texas GOP, like that of many other states, actually wants to recriminalize sodomy, among other choice proposals.

Did any Jews vote for Hitler?  Did any blacks vote for George Wallace?  Given that the river of human stupidity is an ever-flowing stream, I sure wonder. 

Sigh.  Kinda makes you feel like just giving up on the human race sometimes, ya know what I mean?  

Your Head Trucker now believes it will be twenty years before we see equality all across the nation:  DADT repealed, and DOMA.  ENDA enacted, and UAFA, and marriage equality in every state.

Twenty years:  remember you heard it from Russ right here.  Mark your calendars, and drop me a postcard when 2030 rolls around.  If the gay Republican kapos will let you have a postage stamp.

Tell me I'm wrong.  Please.

But first ask your friends who they voted for . . . and see if they hesitate to answer.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails