C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Saturday, March 27, 2010

Today in Texastan: "Gay Jesus" Play Cancelled


In the face of outrage from the local Christianist Taliban and criticism from the Lieutenant Governor of Texas, not to mention security concerns, student director John Otte's professor has cancelled the workshop performance of Terrence McNally's Corpus Christi, which was to have been performed this morning at 8 a.m. before a small audience of classmates and family members on the Tarleton State University campus in Stephenville.

Kudos to university president Dr. Dominic Dottavio, who while asserting his belief that the play is "offensive, crude, and irreverent," nevertheless firmly upheld academic freedom and the student's First Amendment right to produce the play.

Otte:  "Never did I choose this play to attack Christians. I am one."

If you can bear to sit through the painfully amateurish TSU student news broadcast below, you will hear interviews with local mullahs preachers, Dr. Dottavio, and Otte himself.

And get a pretty good idea of the backwards, small-minded, fundamentalist-controlled world your Head Trucker lives in out here on the prairie.



Story begins at the 4:10 mark.

Update:  Houston ABC news report interviews Tarleton State students, who say "Homosexuality is the one unforgiveable sin in our society."

And that, my friends, is what you're up against if you're a gay man living in Texas in the year 2010.

4 comments:

dave said...

I guess y'all got a new motto - Don't Mess With Jesus" - who apparently can't take care of himself...

Russ Manley said...

Jesus ain't the problem . . . it's all the people who think *they* are Jesus.

Gary said...

It's the same ones that run around with those inane signs like "god hates this" and "god hates that"
As if they really know!

It's quite amazing what you get when you mix ignorance, religion, and egotism! I'm afraid we've just begun to reap the bitter fruit of this country's "dumbing down."

Russ Manley said...

Ignorance and religion and arrogance, yes. But actually there's always been that kind of thing going on if you look back in your American history. No matter how far we progress, it's always there, sometimes quiescent, sometimes, like now, virulent.

Sad.

Related Posts with Thumbnails