C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Thursday, March 4, 2010

My American Idol Picks

 Tonight your Head Trucker finally found the time to watch the top 24 contestants from this year's American Idol.

I'm not going to criticize anyone's singing, because having been married to a musician, I know firsthand how very much effort and preparation goes into just a single performance; and I think it's hateful to dismiss someone's work with a rude jab. For those of us who aren't professional musicians, it really all comes down to simple preference, not considered judgment, you know?

But I will tell you whom I did like. Although they all did a credible job, I wasn't too impressed with the women overall, and a few had voices I would find irritating the second time around. But Crystal Bowersox ("Long as I Can See the Light") struck me as being an earthy, soulful original, not in the cutesie cookie-cutter mold; and Paige Miles ("Walk Away") made me sit up and take notice with her powerful voice. Those two I'd like to hear more of.

I was more attracted to the men's side - gee, wonder why - and both Lee Dewyze ("Lips of an Angel") and Michael Lynche ("It's a Man's World") impressed me with their distinctive ear-candy voices. But Aaron Kelly ("My Girl") walked away with the show, in my opinion. He sounds a bit youngish, as you might expect of a 16-year-old. But OMG what a helluva voice that boy has: he sang right to my heart. I'm betting on him at least to be one of the final two, if not the winner of the whole shootin' match.

So who are you guys rooting for?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails