C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Wednesday, June 17, 2009

OMG: Government Funding for Pride?


For a couple of years there, after I lost my husband, I was daydreaming about moving to gay-friendly Canada. It was just a pipedream, though; and I got over it last year with the rush of Hope and the expectation of Change.

I might be reconsidering that attitude now. (Canadian readers, let the Blue Truck know your requirements and needs, I'll get back to ya.)

You grow up in the U.S. and you hear it drummed into your head so many times "This is the GREATEST country in the world." Yeah, yeah, yada yada yada. As if this is the ONLY country worth living in, ever.

But while I love my country, it ain't necessarily so that it can't be greater and better. For all its citizens. We don't have a lock on every good thing here.

Lookit this news from our neighbor to the North - can you imagine the U.S. government funding Pride in, say, New York City? With a major press conference to boot?
Pride Toronto got a financial boost of nearly $400,000 one week ahead of the event's kickoff.

"I'm pleased to announce a new recipient of the Marquee Events Program," said Minister of State Diane Ablonzcy Monday during a news conference at the Gladstone Hotel.

The money is to go towards improving infrastructure and services for people with disabilities during the 10-day festival, along with improving marketing and programming efforts.
Toronto Pride is, far from being something beneath the notice of the government, is a major tourist attraction - worth more than $90 million to the economy of Canada's largest city. They're loving it up there. Can you imagine Pride being covered in depth by a major national network? What a country!

Click here for the video of today's announcement. And oh, don't miss the clip of Dykes on Trikes.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails