C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Obama Signs A Memo for the Gays

Well here it is boys, watch and decide for yourself what this signifies.

BTW, the elderly gentleman Obama hands the pen to after signing is Frank Kameny, whose 1958 firing from a federal job prompted him to sue the government in the first gay-rights case ever; he lost the case, but he inspired many others to activism in our cause in the years before Stonewall.

It's hot here, I'm tired and haven't read what the big blogs are saying about all this yet; maybe later after supper.

Update: Full text of the memo is here.

Seems like the big bloggers don't have much to say tonight. Maybe we're all just speechless here at the climax of six days of shock and anger. Like when you have that last conversation, ya know? . . .

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hurt you, it was just, well - look, it's just not working anymore between us, okay? And it's hurting both of us to go on pretending like this. I wish things were different, but . . . hey, don't be mad, we can still be friends, can't we . . . ?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's probably best to disqualify Frank Kameny from any negative criticism here.

He may or may not be aware of the controversy and no matter what, he's still deserving of the honor to stand alongside the President and witness something he struggled decades to achieve.

Russ Manley said...

Good point, and I agree completely, NG. Frank did an immensely brave thing fifty years ago, and every LGBT person should know his story and honor him for that.

Even if today's grant of benefits is merely a token gesture on the part of the President, it's only fitting that Frank receive some admiration for it as one who led the way, at great personal risk, half a century ago.

Related Posts with Thumbnails