C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Goodnight, Ladies: Miriam, Odetta, Eartha

As we leave the old year behind, time for a last goodbye to three great ladies who entertained millions with their songs and also worked for peace, justice, and civil rights in this country and abroad. You should read about them if you aren't already familiar with their careers.

All were part of the civil rights struggle from way back that paved the way for the election of Obama, and greater freedom in places like South Africa. Not every fight is won with a gun; sometimes a song is an even better weapon.

Here are clips of each of them from their heyday, voices that will never die.

Miriam Makeba - "Mama Africa"

Odetta - "The Voice of the Civil Rights Movement"

Eartha Kitt - "Catwoman"

Thanks, ladies, for all you did. We'll miss you.

2 comments:

Ray's Cowboy said...

Just a note wherever you are traveling. May you be safe and sound. May you be blessed and have good health.
Ray

Russ Manley said...

Thanks Ray you're a sweet guy, same to ya bud. Happy New Year.

Related Posts with Thumbnails