C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Monday, May 7, 2012

Tired Old Queen at the Movies: All About Eve


Steve celebrates his 100th movie review with this tour-de-force performance of the great Bette Davis, one of your Head Trucker's favorite films too:
Bette Davis gives the performance of her career in Joseph L. Mankiewicz's classic ALL ABOUT EVE, the quintessential film on life in the theatre. Winner of multiple Academy Awards, including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Screenplay, and Best Supporting Actor, George Sanders. It also boasts Oscar-nominated performances by Anne Baxter, Celeste Holm and the incomparable Thelma Ritter, as well as solid support from Gary Merrill, Hugh Marlow and up-and-coming starlet, Marilyn Monroe. One of the wittiest and most sophisticated comedies in motion picture history, it stays with you long after the first viewing, and the unforgettable Oscar-nominated Bette Davis, as the aging actress Margo Channing, is not to be missed!



Catch more fabulous movie reviews at Steve's YouTube channel.

2 comments:

Tim said...

Gearge Sanders, what a wonderful villain! I didn't realise he committed suicide here in Spain, another person unable to come to terms with growing old.

On a brighter note, literally, Johnny seems to have dyed his hair, perhaps he's heard we're worried about him.! ;)

Russ Manley said...

I read about George on Wikipedia a long ways back, poor guy - may not be as simple a reason as that, we don't ever really know the depths of another person's soul.

Yeah Johnny looks a little bit better this time, but I don't know. I'd a-sworn he was only about 25, but you know those actors, they can project whatever they want you to see! (Wouldn't that be a nice trick to know)

Related Posts with Thumbnails