C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Washington State Passes Equal Marriage Bill

The Seattle Times reports:
Legislation legalizing gay marriage is on its way to the governor after passing the state House by a 55-43 vote.

Gov. Chris Gregoire, who supports the measure and watched as lawmakers voted, has five days to sign it after the bill arrives. She hasn't set a date yet.

There was never any doubt the legislation would be approved in the House. More than 50 lawmakers announced support for the bill before it came up for a vote.

The biggest hurdle was the state Senate, which has conservative Democrats opposed to the measure. Even there, it passed last week with a 28-21 vote.
However, antigay activists have promised to gather enough signatures to force the issue to be placed on a ballot this November, so the implementation of the law may be delayed pending the outcome of the referendum.

Washington state enacted a broad domestic-partnership law in 2007.  When same-sex marriages are performed there, Washington will be the seventh state (plus the District of Columbia) currently allowing such unions.


Bonus: In an emotional speech during yesterday's House debate, Republican state representative Maureen Walsh explains why she voted in favor of marriage equality, one of only two Republicans to do so.

Related Posts with Thumbnails