C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Monday, November 15, 2010

Dover Beach Revisited

A woman wades into the ocean at Venice Beach in Los Angeles, California, as waves driven from a Southern Hemisphere storm pound the coast, July 21, 2010. REUTERS/Lucy Nicholson (UNITED STATES - Tags: ENVIRONMENT SOCIETY IMAGES OF THE DAY)


Well guys, I've tried to think of something to blog about today, but even though I've found several things that are worth blogging here and here and here - criminy, I just don't feel up to the task.

There are some days, and more and more of them it seems, when all comment seems futile; as if I've got my finger in a dike that is being battered to pieces by a raging ocean on every side.

Not that I've ever believed for a minute that my obscure scribblings could make any more difference to the world than a very small pebble skipped across the surface of a very large lake.  But still, it would be nice to think that one's voice is part of a greater chorus swelling toward a tonic note of peace and harmony - a song worth singing.

Rather than a muffled cry "on a darkling plain, swept with confused alarms of struggle and flight, where ignorant armies clash by night."

When I was a wee lad, in the era of Telstar - amazing thing - all the predictions of the 21st century were of sweetness and light, I well recall.

Even so late as 2008, as all you will recall, there was a sense that things were really, truly, finally going to Change for the better.

Alas, it seems not.  Or not yet, anyway.  Who knows when, as humanity - that strange, obnoxious compound of good and evil - continues its blind, lurching path towards . . . whatever. 

And here I could list a lot of examples to illustrate just what I mean.  But I think you guys know what I mean without the list.  We could each make our own lists, and then what would we have - something to cry over, but what good would that do.

What good does anything do, but time and love? Or time alone - if loves are few.

In the face of the world's senselessness, I am speechless today.  And yet, no matter how bitter the taste of life, we cannot allow the note of goodness in the soul to fall utterly silent, even if words fail.  So I present to you, my truckbuddies, this song without words - and I hope it brings some slim ray of comfort to your hearts today, as it does to mine.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't underestimate yourself...there are some of us who read and savor each and every word you write...there is a lot of wisdom and you usually phrase everything so well.
saludos,
raulito

Ray's Cowboy said...

Take your time, There are going to be days when nothing seems to be with you. But then there are going to be days you have 5 million things to say. just inhale slowly and go on.

Ray

Russ Manley said...

Raulito - very kind of you, thanks buddy.

Ray - yes some days we just have to cowboy up and move along, thanks pardner.

Related Posts with Thumbnails