C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The Tale of Rojair and Rijard


Fantastic Landscape by Thomas Moran

The preceding post, about King and King, has reminded me of something I had nearly forgotten about.  Nothing important, but I'll share it with my truckbuds.  First, I have to tell you a little story.

Some years back, your Head Trucker was browsing through a flea market on the outskirts of town and came across a nifty old leather suitcase, the kind from the 1930's, with hand stitching and polished cowhide.  I bought it, thinking it would be just right to store old family papers and photographs in.

But when I got it home, I found a bulge in the silk lining that seemed unusual.  So I carefully peeled back one side, and underneath I discovered some old letters written in French and a typescript that seemed to be a translation of something, with penciled marks in the margins.  I thought maybe it might have some historical or literary value, and took it around to the literature departments at a couple of colleges in the area; but the professors said that without an original manuscript, the "translation," if that's what it was, was worthless - might even be a hoax.

So I just brought it all home and have kept it all these years. 

Click on Read More below to see the story . . . .




The Tale of Rojair and Rijard


A work in progress.

copyright 2006 by russ manley

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails