C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Monday, February 16, 2009

Skeletons in the Church Closet


Above is a video report by MSNBC from 2007 on Texas megachurch preachers T. D. Jakes and Joel Osteen, both of whom are raking in millions selling God to the masses: "Jesus is the product," says Jakes, who gave the sermon at the prayer service for President Obama on the morning of the Inauguration.

But as the Dallas Voice reports,

The son of T.D. Jakes — the Dallas megachurch pastor who’s called homosexuality a “brokenness” and declared that he would never hire a sexually active gay person — was arrested in a gay sex sting in Kiest Park in January, according to Dallas police reports.

Jermaine Donnell Jakes, 29, faces a charge of indecent exposure after allegedly exposing himself in front of two undercover vice detectives shortly after 10 p.m. on Jan. 3. Senior Cpl. Janice Crowther, a DPD spokeswoman, confirmed Thursday, Feb. 12 that the detectives were both male. . . .

According to court records, Jermaine Jakes listed his place of employment as T.D. Jakes Ministries. Jakes was released at the scene after being detained.

T.D. Jakes is the founder of the Potters House, a 30,000-member church in South Dallas. A vocal opponent of same-sex marriage, he’s been criticized by HIV/AIDS activists for undermining prevention of the disease by stigmatizing homosexuality and drug use.

On same-sex marriage, Jakes once told USA Today: “To date, I have not seen scriptural authority that allows me to stand on behalf of God and say I now pronounce you husband and husband, and wife and wife. This is an issue the government is undecided about. The Bible is not.”

Once again, the religious closet and its sad, sad effects. I feel sorry for Jermaine; no telling what kind of church hell he's been living in all his life.

2 comments:

Ultra Dave said...

I think God made him do it to teach his father a lesson in humilty, tolerance and forgiveness.

Russ Manley said...

You can lead the horse to water, but even God can't make him drink . . . .

Related Posts with Thumbnails