C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Monday, December 1, 2008

The Logic of Gay Marriage

My God. There is intelligent life in Lubbock, after all.

Arnold H. Loewy, a distinguished professor of criminal law at the Texas Tech School of Law, father of four and grandfather of six, has this to say about the question of equal marriage rights:
I fear that what really may be afoot is the perceived need for heterosexual superiority.

At one time in our nation's history, Christians were favored over non-Christians, men were favored over women, whites were favored over blacks and heterosexuals were favored over homosexuals. The first three categories are gone. Non-Christians, women and blacks are all entitled to be treated equally. So, the last bastion of superiority remaining is that we heterosexuals can marry the mates of our choice, but you homosexuals cannot.

The nation has been well-served by eliminating notions of inferiority based on religion, gender and race. It would be similarly well-served by eliminating notions of inferiority based on sexual preference.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails