C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Wednesday, July 6, 2022

Pick a House: Spanish Style

In the 1920's, Spanish-style homes were much in vogue and were built in all parts of the country, though they seem most appropriate in warm-climate states that were originally colonized by the Spanish, such as Florida, Texas, and California.  These homes were designed in all sizes, but today I will show you just two smallish ones, offered as ready-cut houses by Sears and Montgomery Ward.  If you had to pick one to live in, which would you choose?

(Click to enlarge any picture; then from the lightbox, right-click to open a really big image.)

Wards, 1930:





Sears, 1928:




Above is a Google Maps image of a Sears San Jose in La Crosse, Wisconsin.  Unusually, it was built with brick veneer instead of the customary stucco.  M.P. thinks the short, closed-off tower is stupid and looks ridiculous; I think it's distinctive.  What do you think?

You can see more exterior and interior pics of this San Jose as well as others from around the country at Sears House Seeker.

-----

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails