C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Wednesday, May 4, 2022

Being Homosexual

I hadn't planned to run a series of gay documentaries on the Blue Truck, but I guess YouTube finally figured out that I am gay and is now pushing a lot of these in front of me.  This one is an HBO documentary, first aired in May 1984:  a very different time for gay people.  Video quality is not great, but it's watchable, and still relevant to our experience in many ways.

By the way, the gay man in the screen shot below, identified only as Tom in this video, was Dr. Tom Waddell, founder of the Gay Games.

For the record:  In 1984, President Reagan was starting his fourth year in office, the word condom had never been said on television, and the AIDS crisis was a growing menace, still largely occurring in the big, far-away cities. What we had heard about it down here was damn scary, but what caused it and what to do about it were still uncertain. There were no antiviral treatments, so the diagnosis was a death sentence. The term safe sex was not yet in common parlance.  Rock Hudson's diagnosis was not made public until a year later, a few months before he died.  

If you want to revisit the plague era, here's a compilation of gay-related clips from the NBC news archives spanning the whole decade.  In some ways, it was a very different era; in others, not so much, maybe.  We still have to deal with the haters and the homophobes, who nowadays are constantly inflamed by social media and fanatical "news" channels - but at least for now, the law is on our side.  I sure hope it stays that way.

-----

4 comments:

Frank said...

Busy day...I'll have to come back to watch this later.

Russ Manley said...

Hope all is well at your place. We just had two rainy days in a row, wish I could send some your way.

Davis said...

Rainy days here as well - perfect for catching up on your offerings. While we never had HBO or such things, we would hang on this kind of programming as signs of hope.

Russ Manley said...

Yes, I remember that feeling. Teh gayz weren't ALL OVER the TV screens then as they seem to be today. Even just a friendly mention was a treasure to find.

Related Posts with Thumbnails