C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Sunday, April 3, 2022

Sunday Drive: Love Divine, All Loves Excelling


It does my Episcopal heart good to see them rockin' the bells and smells at Trinity Church, Wall Street, recorded on February 26th of this year.  I'm not an Anglo-Catholic, or even particularly High Church - but a little festivity now and then is a joyful thing.

 

BONUS:  The late Archbishop Tutu gave a wonderful sermon there in 2006, on the theme of God's love, which I hope will give you a spiritual blessing today. It did for me. You might want to turn up the sound a little; and if need be, you can turn on captioning by clicking the CC button at the bottom of the YouTube screen.

 


-----

2 comments:

Frank said...

It's been so long since I've been to a "High Mass" let alone been inside a church that the pomp and pageantry look archaic and irrelevant to me. Almost strange...and recall that I was raised on Gregorian chant and incense. I have forsaken organized religion and/or organized religion has forsaken me, not sure which or which came first. Being LGBTQ "affirming" has not quite made it all OK.

Russ Manley said...

To tell the truth, I haven't been to church for many years myself now. But (resisting the temptation to write pages of backstory here) I was drawn to the Episcopal Church in my 30's for several reasons, including the beauty of the liturgy and the general Anglican feeling of joy in the music and the service.

Having grown up unchurched, or badly churched, I was hungry for that beauty and joy when I found it. And my faith is central to my being - a lifeline I have clung to through hell and high water.

Even though I don't go to church now, a beautiful service such as the one pictured here is a refreshing thing to me. And Tutu's excellent sermon was a boost, also.

Related Posts with Thumbnails