C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Saturday, April 16, 2022

Holy Saturday: The Exsultet

 The Lessons for Holy Saturday

The Exsultet  is a favorite of M.P.'s, who suggested I post it today.  Here it is performed by Br. Pádraig McIntyre OSB, from Glenstall Abbey in County Limerick, Ireland; you can follow the lyrics here.


I am ashamed to confess that I was unaware till now that there is a version of the Exsultet in the Book of Common Prayer.  However, I have never known an Episcopal church to hold an Easter Vigil service in my part of the country; apparently, it is de rigueur in Catholic ones.  A lovely idea.

-----

2 comments:

Frank said...

Tried to comment yesterday via my cell phone; didn't work.
I remember the Easter vigil mass back when, mostly before Vatican II, when the old rubrics were used. There was no organ music or bells prior to the Gloria, only somber wooden clappers and acapella responses from Good Friday until the Gloria was intoned during the Vigil. Then the organ music, bells, cymbals, horns all joined in and the Gloria was sung by the choir in Gregorian chant in Latin. It could send chills down your spine.

Russ Manley said...

Yes, I can see it would - most dramatic. M.P. has fond memories of the vigil service, too.

In the EC, the stripping of the altar after the Maundy Thursday service is quieter, but also deeply moving.

Related Posts with Thumbnails