C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Sunday, December 1, 2013

World AIDS Day 2013


I posted this video a couple of years ago, but I like it so much, I'm posting it again. I can never forget when my first husband and I visited D.C. to see the Quilt displayed in 1992 - as soon as we arrived on the Mall and I saw all those acres of panels spread across the grass, I burst into tears, and wept off and on all afternoon. My best friend Tommy had died of the plague a couple of years before, and of course we knew others who were soon to die.

It seems to be a forgotten issue now, since there are the pills to control the virus - but I've known people who have to live with that pill routine, which means taking handfuls two or three times every day, and dealing with all the side effects too. It may keep you going, but it's not a great way to live.

Of course, that's if you can get the pills. Millions all around the world can't. So the fight goes on - do something if you can.

For Tommy and all the others--




Update, 12/2: President Obama today announced the launch of a $100 million initiative to find a cure for AIDS:


5 comments:

Davis said...

A lovely tribute to your friends - all all those we have lost. We, too, were there in '93 to see particularly the 2 quilt panels that friends had made to commemorate our beloved friend Richard, Not a day goes by...

Russ Manley said...

I knew a lady at work who sewed, and I paid her to make a panel for my friend Tommy - it didn't turn out as pretty as I'd hoped, but I sent it on anyway. He's buried far away, so I've never been able to visit his grave, but that was my memorial for him.

Anonymous said...

"a big disease with a little name ..." Friends of mine died from it, bleak times. The last UN-health report says that younger people are not enough aware of it, they think there'd be a cure. One can only hope.

Frank said...

Several friends died of AIDS back in the 80s and 90s. The quilt, especially in the Washington Mall, was a powerful symbol of our grief and solidarity. We all cried.

Russ Manley said...

It was deeply moving. A few times I've gone online to look at panels again - and I still cry.

Related Posts with Thumbnails