C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Thursday, November 7, 2013

Hadrian's Wall

I might have posted this one time before, a long ways back, but it's still pretty cool stuff for a lot of reasons, especially the recovered Vindolanda tablets. If you remember a bit of your high-school Latin, you can pull those up online and give them a read.  Mine is rusty as hell, but still the hair on the back of my neck stood up when I realized I could read a sentence that a Roman citizen scratched on a little piece of wood nearly two thousand years ago.

The Roman handwriting is hell on wheels, though.




2 comments:

Mike, Studio City said...

I am a true blood Brit. This sort of history is great.

Tim said...

Partner and I used to go walking there in the Easter holidays of our youth. A wild, romantic place, full of the ghosts of history.

Related Posts with Thumbnails