C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Thursday, October 3, 2013

Why Marriage Matters: Jordan and Devon

Your Head Trucker is not a fan - can we talk? - of homemade wedding vows; the tender sentiments of two people in love are best kept sacred and unseen, like the marriage bed, in my view. Nevertheless, I know that millions of couples, straight and gay, are all into that kind of thing nowadays, and since this video is so beautifully edited and professionally produced, I thought you fellas might enjoy it. It happened in Los Angeles, earlier this year.

The important thing here is not so much the sentiment on display, but the visible creation of a union, drawing together not merely two individuals, but two families, and all generations. That is what knits us firmly into the the greater society around us as nothing else can, linking us to many more people than just one. It makes us part of the family - and beyond all the laws and all the courts and legislatures of the world, that is the greatest guarantee of our right to exist, to live and love freely, as the gay people we really are.




Honk to Towleroad.

3 comments:

JCF said...

"Your Head Trucker is not a fan - can we talk? - of homemade wedding vows; the tender sentiments of two people in love are best kept sacred and unseen"

TOTES agree! Whenever I hear self-written "vows" (which often are rarely even vows, as such---just riffs on "I love you, I WUBS you!"), I almost always wanna gag. Please, spare me! Get a room!

I just want to be there for your LEGAL (and possibly religious) vows, and support y'all in 'em (then...par-tay!).

If you MUST torture us w/ June/Moon/Balloon, do it at the reception toast, when we can at least try to drown our gag reflexes in champagne?

Russ Manley said...

Get a room! Exactly.

For me, the significance of the vows is that you are making the same promises everyone else is making - you are entering a common state of life with millions of other couples, not your own private little sugar-frosted sparkle-fantasy.

Some things are much better left in the privacy of home - also, kilts, and brown shoes with formal dress.

Oh but - We're unique! Yes, and so is every clown in the circus. Sometimes the point is to be just like everybody else. If you simply must go crazy, that's what the reception is for - have at it.

Stan said...

Weddings are cash cows for wedding planners and caterers. Nothing but a bunch of BS.

Related Posts with Thumbnails