C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Marriage News Watch, 9/6/13

Matt Baume of the American Foundation for Equal Rights reports:




Update: Hawaii Governor Neil Abercombie has called a special session of the Legislature to convene on October 28 to pass a same-sex marriage bill; the governor believes there are enough votes in both the Senate and the House to pass the measure, which would come into effect in mid-November.

Same-sex marriage in the United States was first given serious legal consideration by the Hawaii Supreme Court in 1993, causing conservatives to react with horror in many other states around the country and in Congress, eventually leading to the passage of the federal Defense of Marriage Act three years later, followed by numerous state bans.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails