C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Today's Quote: Andrew Sullivan

Voulez-vous pacser avec moi, cherie?

An excerpt from Sullivan's remarks on the fact that 92 percent of the civil unions (PACS) in France are now between heterosexual couples:

In this, the gay movement, in its support for civil marriage equality, is a force right now for social conservatism; and the Christianist movement is the one fomenting the real attack on the institution of marriage. Christianist doctrine - unrelated to the social facts of our time - is, in fact, a social solvent. It helps destroy the family (ask the Haggards); it undermines civil marriage's uniqueness; and it discourages social responsibility. That's because it is about maintaining the stigma toward homosexuality rather than about supporting the important social role of marriage in keeping society together.

As I have said many times, Christianism is not, properly understood, a force for social conservatism; it is a force for denial, religious neurosis and social decay. Which is why those parts of America that are most imbued with Christianist cant often have such higher levels of divorce, abortion, illegitimacy and family breakdown.

For more on that last remark, see the next post, from Alaska.

1 comment:

Ultra Dave said...

I'm glad some one else understands that.

Related Posts with Thumbnails