C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Out of Annapolis

From the website:

Candidates are still being sought to participate in the extensive study which accompanies the documentary film about the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgendered alumni of the US Naval Academy, often the "uncounted losses" to the officer corps of the US Navy and US Marine Corps. [read more about participating]

Of over 200 known gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender US Naval Academy Alumni, more than 120 have "come out" as the LGBT alumni of the US Naval Academy. Many other LGBT alumni remain "in the closet," serving in silence while on active duty in the service of their country as officers in the US Navy and US Marine Corps.

This film will explore the lives of many of these alumni, how the US Naval Academy shaped their character, their enduring strong bond to the Academy and share their experiences while at Annapolis and while serving in the naval service as an LGBT officer, both pre- and post- Don't-Ask-Don't-Tell.

The film is being produced by the alumni association USNA Out. Filming is still going on, with the premiere of the finished work slated for June of this year.

What I say: Gotta hand it to these guys and gals for having the guts to pursue a military career even while deeply closeted. Let's hope the President makes good very soon on his specific promise to end DADT, and stop all this bullshit persecution.

I never served in the military, sometimes I wish I had. The draft was ended about the time I graduated high school, so that wasn't an issue; and at that point in time the whole country was sick of the Vietnam thing, the nightly body counts on the evening news, the protests, the political arguments, etc. Joining up was not something most people were thinking of, and guys just a little older than me were pulling all kinds of strings to get into the National Guard rather than be drafted into the regular Army.

I did think about it though, the benefits, the money for college, and all that. And I actually did one day go downtown and talk to a recruiter about joining the Air Force, which my dad had served in (actually the AAC) during WWII. The recruiter put on a big act, all buddy-buddy, and did his durndest to convince me to come to a recruit weekend at a nearby airbase, no cost, no obligation.

I chickened out, though. For one thing, I was afraid I couldn't cut the mustard - PE was never my best subject. For another, in the back of my mind I really did fear that if my fellow recruits found out about me, they would kill me. Literally.

I was totally isolated with my sexuality, didn't know any gay people, and had just barely heard the word gay when I was 18. A very different world from what it is now, and extremely unaccepting.

I wonder sometimes how my life would have been different if I had joined up. Won't ever know now, though. I hope soon we will see a day when young gay men and women can serve their country openly and honestly, without fear, without regret.

4 comments:

Ray's Cowboy said...

I hope this does not hurt those in the film. Thank you for the info.
Ray

Ultra Dave said...

Though my father was drafted, I never considered it an option. Not till I can do so openly. I still give my life to defend my country if need be. It would be great if my country saw me as an equal.

the cajun said...

I live in what is known as "the nation's summer capital" and many gay and lesbian service folks visit during the summer season. Many have partners and are separated by different deployments for months at a time. Still, the persevere and when the time is right, come here for a week of privacy.
I feel blessed by their commitment and dedication, though it takes a terrible toll on their lives.
I am going to "borrow" this video and post it at my place. Hope you don't mind. I'll give you credit.

Russ Manley said...

Not a problem, cajun, I think it should be publicized.

Related Posts with Thumbnails