C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Monday, February 9, 2009

Name the New Era


When Franklin D. Roosevelt took office [in 1933], the nation was in deep economic trouble. State governors had shut down every bank and every bank account was frozen--no one could get a bank loan or cash checks or get at their deposits. Unemployment was 25% and higher in major industrial and mining centers. The agricultural sector, with a fourth of the nation's population, was in worse shape than industrial areas. Deflation was raging--prices were falling, making future planning difficult and raising the burden of existing debts. Mortgages were being foreclosed by the tens of thousands. Worst of all, many people seemed to have given up hope for a better future and were desperately holding on. [From Wikipedia]
And you just thought things were bad right now. As the excerpt above shows, things could be a helluva lot worse. I remember my parents and grandparents talking about those hard times; and let me tell you, Roosevelt was a saint in my family. Everybody agreed that if it hadn't been for FDR, "we'd have all perished to death," as my little grandmother put it.

The New Deal may not have been as successful as desired, but it created jobs, put money in people's pockets, food on the table, and hope in their hearts. I'm wondering today what to call the Obama era, which may have some strong similarities to the FDR era.

Sometimes presidents come up with a name themselves: the Square Deal (Teddy Roosevelt), the Fair Deal (Truman), the New Frontier (Kennedy), the Great Society (LBJ). Obama may yet come up with a nametag of his own devising, but in the meantime what would you call this new era, guys?

Since the theme of Obama's inauguration was "A New Birth of Freedom," I sorta like the idea of calling his term of office the American Renaissance. (Renaissance = rebirth.)

But that's just me. What would you suggest?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails