C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Sunday, August 31, 2014

Sunday Drive: More from 1969

A few more hits from 1969 that I was fond of then, for one reason or another, some of which bring back poignant memories now.

The 5th Dimension had a big hit that year with this groovy medley of the opening and closing numbers - I only just now learned that from Wikipedia - from the smash Broadway musical Hair:




If you were alive in '69, you must remember how irresistible the theme from Hawaii Five-O was, the Ventures' last hit single, I believe - this, of course, was before instrumental tunes were outlawed on the radio.




This lovely song, by Jay and the Americans, reminds me of a girl I dated for a few weeks that year - puppy love, and of course impossible for all the obvious reasons, but a sweet little romance while it lasted - an awakening to the possibilities of life:




The Grass Roots, an underrated band in my view, were riding high that year, with the studly Rob Grill as lead singer - he's the mustached one in this cover photo:




And it was a banner year for CCR and their swamp-rock sound, which reconnected rock with its country roots. These guys weren't Southern boys, but they should have been - they sure sounded like they were:




3 comments:

Frank said...

All great tunes - and all very different genres.

*Footnote: Unfortunately, the moon never quite aligned with mars.

Russ Manley said...

I know, it's a pity.

Davis said...

Memory Lane, Thanks Russ.

Related Posts with Thumbnails