C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Vito Russo's Our Time, Episode 5 - Parents

Nowadays, many among the younger generation may find it hard to believe that there was a time when gay people were rarely seen and never heard by most Americans, and coming out to your parents was a fearful thing requiring great courage. PFLAG was a great resource in those days, and although there was no local chapter where I lived, I did take my mom to hear and meet a guest speaker who came to my university campus about this point in time; though Mom was supportive of me from the get-go, I think it gave her a lot of reassurance to talk with another mother.

This episode, broadcast on WNYC-TV on March 2, 1983, is marred by some unfortunate skips in the videotape, which become less frequent as the episode proceeds.



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails