C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Saturday, September 14, 2013

Neighbors Sic Westboro on Wedding of Two Gay Veterans


Or at least they tried to. Via Huffington Post:
The Veterans Home in Chula Vista, San Diego, saw a historic moment on Thursday with its first gay wedding. WWII veteran John Banvard, 95, and Vietnam veteran Gerard Nadeau, 68, have been together for 20 years. They told Fox5 that they'd been waiting on the Supreme Court decision to allow same-sex unions in California before tying the knot.

"It was something we wanted to do for a long time," Banvard told ABC10.

The couple wanted to have the ceremony amongst friends, so on Thursday they were married outside the V.A. Home, where they've lived together for the last three and a half years. According to an ABC10 report, some of the residents who objected to a gay wedding notified Westboro Baptist Church who called in to protest to the V.A. Home.

"They used language I don't want to repeat," staff member Jim Karellas told ABC10.

But when time for the wedding came, none of the objecting residents and no one from the church came to protest, and the simple, yet historic, ceremony was only filled with love.
See the unembeddable video at the link, also the ABC10 news report here.

2 comments:

Harpers Keeper said...

The "neighbors" who complained should be ashamed of themselves.

I'd like to say it was a new low even for Westboro but we all known that's not true.

Russ Manley said...

Nothing is too low for the Westboro zombies.

Related Posts with Thumbnails