C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Wednesday, June 26, 2013

With Bated Breath

The various news sites and bloggers who should know about these things say that the Supreme Court will rule on the DOMA and Prop 8 cases today.  And when they do, all sorts of people will be saying, "Well, I knew the Court would rule that way . . . " - but that's all bullshit. As of this moment, nobody but the nine justices themselves knows how the rulings are going to go.  As we saw in yesterday's Voting Rights Act ruling, the conservatives can easily muster five votes when they want to; so the Court could very well uphold both DOMA and Prop 8, though I think it unlikely they will. 

But we just can't and won't know for sure until the court begins issuing its rulings at 10 a.m. Washington time today:  the quickest and likely most accurate way to get the news is by following the live feed over at SCOTUSblog, beginning at 9 a.m.

Meanwhile, it happens that today is the tenth anniversary of the momentous 6-3 ruling in Lawrence v. Texas, which struck down the enforcement of sodomy laws in the fourteen states that still had them in 2003.  This short video from Lambda Legal reviews the connection between that case and todays' cases.



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails