C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Saturday, June 8, 2013

Waiting on the Supremes

Lambda Legal has published this quick-and-easy chart to explain the most likely possible rulings in the Prop 8 case, which deals with marriage in California. The chart also covers the separate case of United States v. Windsor, which addresses DOMA. Both rulings are expected to be issued before the Supreme Court takes its summer recess at the end of this month; but the legal and constitutional issues in both cases are complex, so there's really no way of predicting what the Court will say until they say it.


Click to enlarge.


Your Head Trucker has said before, and will say again, that he believes the Court will follow a cautious path and end up, whatever the legal justifications may turn out to be, restoring marriage equality to California only, and telling the federal government it has to recognize same-sex marriages wherever they are legal. And no more. I just don't see the Court legalizing gay marriage nationwide at this time. But we'll have to wait and see.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails