C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Monday, April 16, 2012

Caine's Arcade

Via Andrew Sullivan, a delightful tale of a boy and his cardboard box:


Caine's Arcade from Nirvan Mullick on Vimeo.

More power to him. A scholarship fund set up for Caine has already raised thousands of dollars:  you can contribute a buck to it here.

Your Head Trucker never had any luck trying to be an entrepreneur.  I remember one time, couldn't have been more than 6 or 7, I decided I would try selling lemonade - like you see kids doing in movies.  So I hauled an old wooden crate and a folding chair out to the edge of the street, set out a pitcher of the good stuff and some Dixie cups, and hung a sign on the front of the box.  And sat there all one long, hot, sweaty summer afternoon under the pine trees.  No customers, not one.  Until finally my dad came home from work, and he bought a glass, earning me my only nickel.

So I never tried that again.  Of course, now when I look back, I realize that living in a neighborhood with no sidewalks, and thus no foot traffic, that little enterprise was doomed before it started.  People drove by and stared at me, but nobody stopped. 

Which I suppose was my first lesson that life is not like in the movies.  But once in a while, somebody gets very lucky - like our little man Caine here - and that's nice to see.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails