C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Sunday, July 10, 2011

What We Believe

Map showing the largest denomination (a plurality) 
in each U. S. county; black dots indicate a majority.

Since it's Sunday, here's some stats on religious belief you can meditate on. Keep in mind that no survey of human behavior can ever be totally accurate to the last decimal point; and people do sometimes change their, um, lifestyles beliefs as they proceed through life.

From the U. S. Religious Landscape Survey, Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life, 2007, based on about 36,000 responses nationwide:


For a breakdown by denomination, check the PDF summary here.

And you can cross-check the numbers with those provided by the Association of Religion Data Archives here.

Population of the U. S. at the 2010 census was 310,232,683. 

Homos included: latest estimate is 3.5 percent of the adult population, equal to the state of New Jersey, plus 700,000 transgendered folk. 

But that estimate came up with 1.8% bi, and only 1.7% gay or lesbian; your Head Trucker is just not sure that's entirely right.  Also, it ignores the fact that people are gay from birth on up, just like with race or sex, so the numbers are skewed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would bet that, since the publication of either of these surveys, the Mormon cult has grown exponentially. (It kinda bugs me that they are included as Christians.) I haven't done a survey, but I KNOW they fund much of the anti-gay crap out there.

Russ Manley said...

And so do the Catholics and the Baptists and the other evangelicals. The Mormons haven't grown any, it just seems that way to you. Which is one reason I put the numbers up here, to give us all a reality check.

Related Posts with Thumbnails