C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Corpus Christi: The Documentary

Corpus Christi is a play by Terrence McNally that reinterprets the Passion of Christ against the backdrop of McNally's own experience as a gay teen in the 1950's in deeply homophobic Corpus Christi, Texas.

The play was met with furious protests at its opening in New York in 1998, but lately a theater group called 108 Productions has been successfully touring with the play, and is making a documentary about it.

I've never seen the play, but would love to. Probably won't ever get the chance, since Texas is full of Bible-believing, gay-hating Christianists. Just last year, there was nearly a nuclear meltdown over in Stephenville when a college drama class attempted a performance in a student workshop on a Saturday morning - not even a public performance, mind you. But that was enough to create a major outbreak of full-tilt, off-the-rails, hang-em-high Pharisaism here, I tell you what.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails