C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Wednesday, July 6, 2011

English Cottage Style

As I've posted before, you fellas know that your Head Trucker gets off on looking at old house plans, and even trying to draw some of my own.  The English cottage style was way big in the 20's and 30's, and I remember as a kid I used to see a lot of old houses around town built that way - of course, being a goofy kid, I just thought they looked weird, with their narrow, pointy gables and long, long rooflines.  (I never heard anyone use the term "catslide roof" back then, but it's a great description.)

Even now, this is not a style I would ever choose for my own house - I'm a Colonial Revival man - but at this late age I can appreciate the artistry that went into them.  Here's a couple of pretty cool houses to share with you, from a 1924 Bilt-Well catalog of plans (see a lot more on the slideshow at Antique Home.)  Click to enlarge:

Dig the colored stonework around the doorways.
And notice the attached garage, a rarity at the time.

That catslide roof would have been way too tempting for a little boy who loved to climb - like yours truly.

And while we're on the subject, might as well show you Eudora Welty's Tudor-style home in Jackson, built in 1925, in which she lived until her death in 2001.


It's a very roomy, livable place.  You can see the floor plans and take a virtual tour over at the Welty House website.

And I was really amazed to learn some time ago that the architect her father (an insurance company executive) engaged to design the house is the same man - Wyatt Hedrick - who designed the awesome Art Deco Texas & Pacific buildings in downtown Fort Worth, local landmarks (my God, they're huge, you can't miss them) now turned into very high-priced condos.


They just don't build 'em like they used to, eh guys?

3 comments:

"Sir" said...

You do know that "cottage" here has other connotations?

Russ Manley said...

Yes I do, if somewhat vague on the details - which strikes me as a very humorous development of the language.

MommieDammit said...

Most of all, I agree with your last statement - they most definitely DO NOT build them like they used to! Now it's just tear out everything that even remotely resembles a tree and cram in three cookie-cutter cardboard-n-crap piles in the same space they used to build a single house on. I guess the idea of being able to flip your neighbor's eggs while you take a dump has really caught on... EEEEEWWWWWW!!!! Damn, I just got a mental picture of that... I'm sorry!

On the matter of preferred styles, however, I have a 1932 Craftsman cottage that I adore. For me, I really don't have a particular "style" of architecture that I prefer. Other than "OLD" - as in older than dirt. Give me a house that was built back in the day when artistry mattered as much as the square footage you packed it into and I'll start drooling worse than that speckle-butted hound dog of mine. Oh, yeah - and it better have a big, fat porch for my swing or the deal's off!

Related Posts with Thumbnails