C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Thursday, October 26, 2023

The Outspoken Fran Lebowitz

Though she probably wouldn't care, there's a soft spot in my heart for sardonic New Yorker Fran Lebowitz, writer, speaker, and curmudgeonly humorist.  I suppose I admire first of all her razor-sharp mind and her deft hand at a well-turned phrase; and then I have to smile at her undaunted individualism that does not yield to passing fashions of thought and behavior (she owns no typewriter, cellphone, or computer).

You can look up her books and essays online, but you really have to hear her speaking her mind to appreciate her piquant wit and insight.  I might not agree with everything she says, but the way she says it is entertaining.  This interview for Salon magazine was filmed a few days ago:

 

 CBS Sunday Morning interviewed Lebowitz last year:

 

In this interview from 2010, Lebowitz discusses the continuing appeal of Jane Austen:


-----

2 comments:

Davis said...

God bless her - these are great. She's so very real.

Russ Manley said...

She is very real, and manages to be funny at the same time. An enviable talent.

Related Posts with Thumbnails