C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Thursday, August 31, 2023

The Pork Boys do Ratatouille!

(Pronounced rat-a-TOO-ee; say it quickly.)

Last week, M.P. got a yen to try something new and different, so he went searching for recipes, and the result was splendid:  a big pot of delicious ratatouille from the south of France.  Neither of us had ever tried it before, but we became instant fans of this all-vegetable dish.  With fresh herbs from our garden, it was a real palate pleaser that you could eat as a main dish with toasted garlic bread, or serve with practically anything else.

Note that all the vegetables end up soft, not crunchy - which is just how I like them.

This simple dish is easy to make, even for the culinarily challenged, and as with all good recipes, there are endless variations.  Here are a couple of recipe videos to check out.  The first one is simple and direct, just showing you what to do instead of telling:

 

The second is full of friendly directions from one of our favorite online chefs, Stephane at French Cooking Academy:

 

 I have a few suggestions: 

1. Instead of yellow bell pepper, M.P. used yellow squash, which I love - delightful!

2. Peel your zucchini. That thick, green skin tends to infiltrate the whole dish, and is very annoying to old men with bad teeth.

3. Drain your sautéed vegetables well, using a strainer or paper towels, before putting them in the pot. A little grease goes a long way. 

Well, now you're all ready to make this simple, scrumptious Provençale dish.  Try it, you'll like it!

-----

2 comments:

Frank said...

I love ratatouille in all its variations. I've made it many times, especially when the garden is producing. I've not had good luck growing eggplant in New Mexico, however, so store bought is my go to. The Italian version is Ciambotta. Sometimes I add mushrooms and/or sausage. Welcome to the wonderful world of Eggplant.
http://cookingfranco.blogspot.com/2021/10/ciambotta-or-giambotta-con-salsicce.html

Russ Manley said...

M.P. had wanted to try making ratatouille for a long time and finally did - what a great dish! I had forgotten about your ciambotta recipe but I think the addition of Italian sausages is a swell idea. I will remind M.P. of that for next time - perhaps just serving them on the side, as the ratatouille was a little bit greasy, I thought.

FYI - fried eggplant slices have always been a great occasional treat for us, coated with a little flour & corn meal. Yum.

Related Posts with Thumbnails