C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Sunday, August 7, 2022

Sunday Drive: San Francisco


 
Back in 2015, my truckbuddy Frank published Did You Ever See a Horse Go By, his memoir of growing up gay and coming out late; now he has released it on his blog as a free PDF file, newly revised and complete with color photographs. 

The book is a vivid, poignant, sometimes funny, often brutally honest account of the fears, perplexities, and eventual triumphs of finding his way to adulthood as a gay youth in a straight world, before and after Stonewall - something we all had to go through in the 1960s and 1970s. Young gays today have no idea what a struggle it was.  But Frank surmounted all the difficulties and went on to lead a productive, fulfilling life as a proud gay man.

I admire Frank's courage and diligence in setting down his detailed memories so plainly, exposing his inner life for all the world to see. I can't do it - I have the memories, and our experiences paralleled each other's, but it's still just too hard to write about, even after all these years.  The scars have grown over, but they are still quite tender. 

I heartily recommend Frank's book to all my other truckbuddies and readers. And I hasten to add, it does have a happy ending - very much so. Click on the link below to go straight to the PDF. 


-----

2 comments:

Frank said...

First of all thank you for that wonderful review. I didn’t realize you had posted it on your blog because we are spending a couple of days in Taos away from the computer and my iPhone doesn’t always cooperate when it comes to viewing or commenting on someone else’s blog or even my own. But I will say again thank you so much. We have communicated for years via reluctant rebel and blue truck red state. It is a little weird having a friend who you’ve never met but a friend nonetheless. Perhaps one day we will meet in the flesh. I will keep this short as I am having a few unpleasant aches and pains and as far as happy endings I guess you could say that in spite of the fact that I fight depression every day. I am so fortunate to have Leon in my life and to have a good friends. However depression knows no reason. Old age has crept up on me and I wonder if that has a lot to do with it. Take care. Frank.

Russ Manley said...

You're very welcome, Frank. And it's always good to have a friend, in person or via the magic of the internet. I always wanted penpals when I was a kid - now I have some via the Blue Truck, though none close enough to visit. Well, it's enough - it has to be.

And like you with Leon, I'm very glad and grateful to have M.P., without whom life would be unlivable at this late age. It's a real blessing to have someone instead of no one to walk with and talk with, as the shadows lengthen and the evening comes.

And I hasten to add, eat with! What is so miserable as cooking for one?

I count you as a good buddy, Frank. So we get depressed, so what?
"It's just your 19th nervous breakdown." It won't kill you. Things could always be worse. So hang in there.

Related Posts with Thumbnails