C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Sunday, August 21, 2022

Sunday Drive: I Wish It Would Rain

Here in Texas, we are eagerly expecting some much-needed rain later this morning.  What a long hot summer it's been!  At times, almost too hot to even think, let alone do anything else.  Hence my selection of today's song by the fabulous Gladys Knight and the Pips, which I listened to many times on their Greatest Hits album, back in 1970-71.  Gladys was one of the few soul singers who could give Aretha a run for her money. 

 


Bonus:  Here's Gladys, pretty in pink, singing a medley of hits with the Pips on the Ed Sullivan Show, February 1968: 

 


And finally, if you want some real rain-dance music, here's one of their biggest and bestest hits from 1967. If this doesn't make you want to tap your feet and shake your booty, there's something wrong with you, bud.



P. S.:  It rained - and how!


-----

3 comments:

Frank said...

She/they were great performers, but I think back then I was more into Creedence Clearwater, Orpheus, The Doobie Brothers, Simon and Garfunkle,Crosby Stills and Nash ... not sure what that says about me...

Russ Manley said...

Hmm. Those are all straight white men. I'm sure some rabid zealot would say you are a racist, sexist, homophobic, cis-gendered pig. But I say you just liked what you liked, as I did.

At that period, I was a (relatively) poor boy who could only afford 79c 45's, and once in a great while an album ($2.99 at K-Mart) of greatest hits. The albums I remember having in 1970-71 were Gladys K and the P's, the Union Gap (that voice!), and the Guess Who. I think the following year I got CCR and the Grassroots. An album of Chopin's nocturnes, and Johann Strauss's greatest hits too, by the Philadelphia Philharmonic.

I've always had catholic tastes. Grin.

Russ Manley said...

P. S. - I saw CS&N in concert much later, 1978 I think. They gave a great show.

Related Posts with Thumbnails