C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Tuesday, February 25, 2020

The Pork Boys Do Mardi Gras, 2020

--- Porkchops Jambalaya ---

Since M.P. made such a grand Valentine's feast last Sunday, this week he contented himself with a smaller but nonetheless scrumptious menu of real, honest-to-God Cajun delights.

Our theme colors were green, gold, and purple, of course.  In the background at top center is the peacock plant we call "Mary Grace," having bought her on this occasion several years ago.

M.P. sewed the center cloth himself last year for just such dinners.

These festive masks are also M.P.'s handiwork.

The little disco ball in the center is as close as we get to nightclubbing these days.  And we're just fine with that.

Shrimp and grits!  Unknown in my childhood, they have in recent times become a renowned Southern delicacy.  Before cooking (briefly) in a spicy tomato sauce, M.P. brined these tiny shrimp to tenderize them so I could enjoy them.  I'm happy to report it worked.  Deviled eggs are another of our most favorite appetizers.

The fixin's, all lined up and ready to go.

Porkchops Jambalaya is M.P.'s own twist on a Cajun standard, devised some years ago and a family favorite ever since.  Here you see the pork (actually pork ribs) as they came from the oven, slow-cooked in a spicy red sauce.

The pork pieces are served over M.P.'s fabulous jambalaya, which is nothing like anything you've ever had in a restaurant.  Containing rice, the trinity, bacon, sausage, sliced hard-boiled eggs, and other bits and pieces, all bound together with a bit more spicy red sauce--let's just say it's magically delicious!

Nothing else was needed on our plates except M.P.'s made-from-scratch hot biscuits and butter.  Talk about good!  Hoo-whee!

Instead of a Kings' Cake this year, M.P. put on his thinking cap and came up with this colorful concoction of puff pastry, cherry pie filling, and cream cheese that he calls Crown Pastry.  Yummm!

Awfully tasty with some fresh-brewed Rum Cake Coffee left over from Xmas.

And that's all, folks. Laissez les bon temps rouler!  At least until tomorrow, when Lent begins.


2 comments:

Davis said...

I hope my last meal is deviled eggs. When visiting South I was chastised for never having eaten shrimp and grits - utterly divine...

Russ Manley said...

You are so right! But wait till you try chicken and waffles . . .

Related Posts with Thumbnails