C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Friday, February 14, 2020

The Pork Boys Do Lovers' Pie

Last Sunday's dinner anticipated Valentine's Day and was especially delightful.

Lovers' Pie - a fabulous dish that M.P. read about somewhere and decided to try.  First, he cut beef sirloin into very thin slices, then wrapped each one around an oyster, and baked it all in a flaky piecrust with caramelized onions, beef consomme and red wine.  Magnifique!  I tell you what, boys.  You never had anything so good in your mouth.

In case that hadn't worked out, M.P. also made a new variation of garlic chicken, butterflied, breaded with panko and finely chopped garlic, and slowly baked in a white wine sauce until perfectly tender and juicy.

From 6 o'clock, going clockwise:  garlic chicken, herbed rice and luscious cream gravy; garlic Texas toast; fried Italian green beans; Lovers' Pie.

The Lovers' Pie was so good, we had to go back for seconds.
If anybody out there doesn't love oysters as we do,
I'm just sorry as I can be for you.

We had no dessert to speak of at dinner; but earlier in the day, M.P. had made up four pans of his wonderful cinnamon rolls, decorated with pink icing and candy hearts, which he delivered to his kids and grandkids.  There was also a fifth pan, twice as big as the others, which he made for the delectation of your Head Trucker, who was most grateful.


2 comments:

Frank said...

You guys surely do eat well. I've had many a clam and almost as many mussels, but never an oyster. I guess because they are almost always served raw...and that doesn't sit well with me.

Russ Manley said...

You haven't really lived yet, Frank. A raw oyster is the height of delight, fresh and cold, dipped in hot sauce and eaten on a plain saltine cracker. Heavenly! Some ice-cold draft beer with which to wash it down is highly recommended.

Deep-fried oysters are a Gulf Coast delight. I love them any way I can get them but never expected to see them baked in a pie - which was a thrill.

Related Posts with Thumbnails