C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Sunday, September 2, 2018

Beach Mix, 9/2/18

Somewhere . . . a place for us

Labor Day weekend has arrived to mark the end of the summer season in the US of A, and so we come to the end of our beach party here at the Blue Truck. I hope you all have enjoyed listening to my faves from the mid-sixties; there are of course many more great songs from that period that I haven't posted, but I've tried for the most part to feature those that have a good beat that you can dance to, as a good DJ should.

It took a bit of work, but it was a real treat for me to track down all these videos - live performances whenever I could find them in good, or at least bearable, quality. And truth to tell, in many cases it's the first time your Head Trucker has ever seen these singers and bands perform - or even just seen what they looked like. Today's children would be shocked and amazed, no doubt, to learn that once upon a time, still within living memory, one might go for years on end enjoying certain songs, but having no idea what the singers looked like.  And somehow it just wasn't all that important to see the singers - the music, the sound, was the important thing, and that was enough.

I miss transistor radios.  Hell, I miss radio - simple and free, radiating from out the aether to everyone, everywhere, endlessly emanating delightful sounds - a constant comfort and joy.


But I digress. We begin our final Beach Mix by dimming the lights for the sweetheart dance - which goes out to my truckbuddy Frank, because he is one (and that's all you need to know, ragazzi).

Don't Worry BabyBeach Boys, 1964




The next tune goes out to my faithful truckbuddy Davis, to remind him of those sunny days of innocent youth.

I Can't Help MyselfFour Tops, 1965




And this perfect updating of the Cole Porter classic is an oldie but such an elegant goodie - like my dear old chum Tim, living the beach life year-round on the Costa del Sol, the lucky blighter.

I've Got You Under My Skin, Four Seasons, 1966




And to all my truckbuddies around the world in these troubled times - if you ever need a lift, this song is guaranteed to provide it:

Dancing in the Street, Martha and the Vandellas, 1964




To end the summer with a bonus: Your choice of any stud in the Blue Truck catalog - free! - goes to the reader who can name all the TV shows featured in this brilliantly edited little video. Have fun, y'all.

Keep on Dancing, Gentrys, 1965






4 comments:

Davis said...

From one ragazzo to another - Thanks for the time on the beach. Beautiful memories.

Tim said...

Literally just got in from that beach. Dani was looking hot and Miguel and Sergio were as cute as ever. My first Pina Colada was for you Bubba! Thanks Russ for providing the memories this summer. More power to your magnificent organ that is, and will always be, The Blue Truck. Tim :))

Frank said...

Thanks for the dedication Russ. That was sweet.

Don't Worry Baby was one of my private little romantic songs of the era. The fact that I really didn't have or want a "babe" but really wanted a "beach boy" made this (and many other BB songs) a source of cognitive dissonance and angst.

As for it being the end of summer and the end of beach parties...Leon and I will be heading to Cape Cod with our camper this coming week to the beaches of Provincetown (Yes, all the way from New Mexico) for what is usually the best time of the year...great weather (we hope) and smaller crowds. So it ain't over yet.

I will try to post some of our trip on my blog.

Russ Manley said...

Appreciate ya, fellas.

Related Posts with Thumbnails