C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Nightmare World: Facebook Wants Your Bank Account


I'll be honest with you, fellas:  Much as I try to keep a stiff upper lip about the decay of civilization, there are days when any attempt at optimism seems hopeless, and the vision of a nightmare world that surpasses anything Orwell ever dreamed of seems not merely imminent, but already present.

Facebook is not your friend, despite the happy college-kid face it presents to the world.  They now want to "partner" with banks to "improve customer service" and "benefit the consumer."  If you believe that, you are a fool.  It's a business, a huge, sprawling, corporation without a human soul.  A corporation is a machine to make money with - like any tool, it can be used for good or ill purposes.  But what all corporations want is to increase their stock prices and dividends, and too many corporate leaders tend not to care if any and all consumers get screwed in the process - hey, too bad, it's progress, wheeeee!

"Privacy" notice I got a few days ago from Google.  Even what your or I watch on YouTube or what places we look up on Google Maps are all tracked under the unceasing, unblinking eye of Big Brother, and filed in his unforgetting, ineradicable memory.  
If Google can follow your every stray thought, who else can too?  And is?

I could go on and on and on about the madness that has engulfed us all in the last 25 years since the advent of the Internet - and even though some antisocial types, like me, have never joined Facebook, there are who knows how many other companies, like Google, and countless little ones nobody ever heard of, all busily digging into everyone's privacy every minute of every hour of every day.  There is in fact no privacy left in the world for anyone, except maybe for some of those lost tribes in the Amazon jungle, and even their remote little world is being steadily invaded.

And it's not merely things that you think of as data-sharing sites.  There's also the ghastly Internet of Things, which to put it another way, means that your car, your refrigerator, your dishwasher, your microwave, and just about any other electronic gadget can in fact be made to spy on you and report everything you do, every word you say, and how you spend every second of your life, waking or sleeping.

From "sponsored content" about harvesting your privacy from the Internet of Things at Politico, 7/16/18.  Click to enlarge.

And every utility - electricity, gas, water - is produced, distributed, and metered by mini-minds that can also be misdirected or shut down.

And furthermore, every last one of those devices, in your home, or at the power plant, can be unlocked and controlled, probably, by some teenage hacker down the street or some spymaster on the other side of the world, with a few taps on a keyboard.

Just last year, somebody in Dallas broadcast a radio signal that activated all 156 of the city's tornado alarms, an amazing feat of digital malevolence.  Lily Hay Newman reported for Wired:
The Dallas incident fits with the broader uptick in infrastructure hacks around the country. From electric road signs to emergency text alert systems to suburban dams, hackers have targeted vulnerable structures with increasing boldness. And while the Dallas sirens did have some alarming secondary effects—over 4,000 calls to 911 flooded the city's emergency response lines for several hours—it's nothing next to the real danger that hacks like these could cause.

"There’s a steady drumbeat of these types of attacks and they’re all pretty benign right now, but what’s next? Is it water? Is it sewage?" says Chris Pogue, the chief information security officer at the data analysis firm Nuix. "Let’s not waste the potential lessons learned by saying it’s an isolated incident."
I don't want to be part of this nightmare.  And I don't want to be part of this ugly, vulgar, hate-filled century, which I'm afraid will one day make the horrors of the 20th century look like a Sunday-school picnic.  But what can any of us do now?  We walked into the enticing trap of the Internet willingly, all unsuspecting, and now the doors are closing on us, it seems.  One day, sooner than you think, Siri and Alexa and other talking boxes will not be optional - they will be required in every home.  Maybe even in every brain.  And then the last hope of resistance - of truly independent human personality - will have vanished.

And it won't be fresh-faced, innocent-looking types like Mark Zuckerberg pulling your strings.  It will be the ruthless, power-hungry leaders of the left or right - when they have a good grip on you with the ruthless digital hand, it won't much matter which side they are.

You may say, "Oh, Russ, you're just being melodramatic, don't get so excited, just chill."  Well, okay, boys - if you all don't think there's any danger to worry about, you just sit back and relax.  While you can.

But when a day comes that your bank balance is zeroed out, your credit cards too, and your car won't start, and you have no electricity - unless you do as you are told - for gosh sakes, don't come whine to me about it, "Oh I never dreamed this could happen."

It can.  Be afraid.  Be very afraid.

You have been warned.


P. S. -- Of course, I could be wrong. So was Orwell, so was Bradbury, so was Forster, so was Wells, and so were a lot of other writers who have rung the alarm bells about present trends and coming events, if you look only only at the small details of what they prophesied.  I don't have the talent for spinning a fascinating yarn as they did, either.

Nevertheless, no one doubts that they were right to sound a warning.  Forewarned is forearmed.


5 comments:

Frank said...

I want to comment...but I'll have to think about it some more. It's dinner time. As Oliver would say, "Later."

Russ Manley said...

Oh go eat your dinner and enjoy it - the world is not coming to an end this week anyhow. Probably.

Frank said...

OK, Russ, it’s tomorrow and I have a few minutes to think about Facebook and all the social, or should I say anti-social media that abounds with trivia, uncivil conversation, name calling, and conspiracy theories…along with some altruistic fund-raising and intelligent commentators.

I opemed a Facebook account at the urging of my writing group and publisher (Lafora) after publiching my memoir. Facebook is an absolute must to get a work recognized…well, long story short, it never happened. Meanwhile, Facebook became a constant distraction. It is insidious. One collects “friends” - people who, for the most part, you never see in person, who never call on the phone or send a card or even an email. One does, however, feel obligated to not only read every post, but respond with a “like” or personal comment, especially when a “friend” likes or responds to one’s own posts. This distraction began to interfere with my daily chores and with viewing other, more stimulating, entertainment on the internet.

But the 2016 campaign and the constant barrage of political posts - many from like-minded democrats and some from less enlightened “friends” - was disconcerting. It was especially agonizing to discover that people and family members one thought one knew, were not, in fact, the persons one had imagined them to be. Otherwise nice people with normal lives and loving families were espousing hateful, bigoted, and unimaginable ideas and beliefs. I thought it was my duty to refute such nonsense throughout the campaign, but after the election I decided I’d had enough. I suspended my Facebook account and then finally deleted all my previous posts and deleted the account for good. (If there is really such a thing as deleting permanently and completely - I have no idea, nor do I really care at this point).

So that is my 50 cents on Facebook.

Leon and I both have iPhones - a mixed blessing. I do not us it to store credit card info or banking info or to purchase anything. My Apps are limited to things like “Camera” “Photos” “Contacts” “Weather” “Walk for a Dog” “WAZE” “Altimeter” and some others which I rarely use. I probably use “Google” and “WAZE” most frequently…having not lived in Albuquerque or Santa Fe but having to do business (shopping, doctors, banks, restaurants, etc) in those cities, "WAZE" is very handy and, I think, better than “Google Maps”

The iPhone and my laptop are about the extent of my “smart” electronics. I will NEVER have Alexa or any other listening device in my home. There is one other device we have by default that I despise: the so-called “connectivity” device in Leon's VW Tiguan. The device with the touch screen is the most complicated, convoluted contraption ever made. One must take one’s eyes off the road to press 17 different icons in order to find that Soft Jazz radio station one was listening to just the other day - even if it is on a pre-set button. Try finding the pre-set buttons on the screen without looking for too many dangerous seconds.

The device searches for any phone in the car and tries to connect or it can connect with the USB port. But once connected, it is impossible for me to remember what does what and how to make it work. The only times when Leon and I argue are when we are trying to operate the connectivity device. Fortunately our 1997 pick-up and my 2010 Honda Fit are too old to have such devices. (I love my Honda Fit’s buttons and dials - the way a radio was meant to be - I can press those buttons and turn the dials without taking my eyes off the road).

But as for the more philosophical discussion, I will only say that I try to have a more Zen approach to these things (when I am not fantasizing about taking a hammer to them). I am determined to USE such smart devices insofar as they enhance or my life or make it easier or enjoyable. I am determined to NOT BE USED by these tools or to make myself vulnerable. Though I agree with you that personal vulnerability is becoming more and more of a real threat.

And that makes it an even dollar’s worth of comments, I reckon.

Frank said...

I regret not having proof-read that post and apologize for the typos.

Russ Manley said...

Thanks much for your thoughts, and good for you, bro: we must all stand determined NOT TO BE USED - resistance may be indeed futile, as I fear, but we humans should not go down without a fight.

But WAZE? Tiguan? Hondafit? Oh dear, I must pull up Google Translate and see what frightful innovations you're talking about. Or do I really want to know?

[Bookkeeper's note: A credit of $1 has been duly applied to your account, Mr. DeFrancesco, and is redeemable with any purchase.]

Related Posts with Thumbnails