C I V I L    M A R R I A G E    I S    A    C I V I L    R I G H T.

A N D N O W I T ' S T H E L A W O F T H E L A N D.


Sunday, August 5, 2018

Beach Mix, 8/5/18


Let's have a beach party!

Sunday Drive is on summer hiatus while I offer some favorites from the mid-sixties for fun in the sun and tans on the sands.

What memories do these songs bring back for you?


Little Deuce CoupeBeach Boys, 1963




Shotgun, Jr. Walker and the All Stars, 1966




1-2-3, Len Barry, 1966




Look Out (Here Comes Tomorrow), Monkees ft. Davy Jones, 1967




Oh, Pretty Woman, Roy Orbison, American Bandstand, 1966 (recorded 1964)






6 comments:

Davis said...

I'll tell you what these beach boys songs mean to me. Memories of my first experience of being attracted to men - well in those days what were really other boys. Walking through the amusements at the beach town where my parents kept a house. The brisk air on my sunburned neck after a day on the beach. I remember specifically the well filled out tight white chinos and open necked Madras shirts - the clever tough kids smoking in the corners, the girls oggling one and all. What I didn't know then was that there were other boys like me there.

Thanks for the memories.

Russ Manley said...

Thanks for this lovely vignette. I wonder if you might sometime expand it just a bit and let me publish it as a guest post - no need to make it a formal essay, just a sketch or prose poem of a certain place and time in the life of a (gay) boy. The parens stand for the closet, of course.

As you may recall, I've already published a number of Tim's essays - if interested, just let me know.

Frank said...

I didn't know a deuce coupe from a chicken coupe or a pressure plate from a dinner plate but the Beach Boys were always on my play list (if we had had play lists back then).

Frank said...

I can relate to Davis' experience...sun, sand, sea and gorgeous boys/men in cut-off jeans...

Davis said...

I wish I could write, but I find I have few words.

Russ Manley said...

Few words are plenty when used well. Your little paragraph was a brilliantly evocative piece.

Related Posts with Thumbnails